Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Chocolate is always appropriate.

Since I'm getting married next year in April, I'm going to be spending the holidays with my soon-to-be in-laws family. However, getting my love to call them and find out the plans was like pulling teeth. I finally cornered him on Monday night, with a "Look, I need to know if I need to bring anything so I can shop before the crowds on Wednesday." He called right then and there in the grocery store parking lot, and found out that, yes they are having something, and no we do not need to bring anything. Well, I'm concerned that perhaps they are still thinking of my love as a addition to his mother instead of a fully-functioning-grown-up-person-separate-family type thing. So I made cookies anyway.

I have made this cookie recipe a number of times before, and they have always turned out great. This time, since I am taking them to a Thanksgiving dinner, I added some spices to the basic recipe, giving them as somewhat Mexican hot chocolate taste, which I enjoy, but you could omit. I also made them into small, two-bite size cookies, figuring that they will serve as dessert after a large meal, and people are more likely to eat one if they are small.




Megan's Thanksgiving Chocolate Cake Cookies

Ingredients:
1 Cup butter (yes really)
1 1/2 Cup sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 Cups All-purpose flour
2/3 Cup baking cocoa
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt.
1/2 teaspoon each of: ground cinnamon, dried ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon each of: ground cloves and cardamom.

1. In a mixing bowl, cream together softened butter and sugar.
2. Add eggs, one at a time until well blended
3. Add vanilla, blend well. Set aside
4. In another bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and spices.
5. Slowly add dry ingredients to creamed mixture until fully mixed.
6. Cover and refrigerate at least one hour, longer if you have the time.
7. Roll into 1'' balls about 2'' apart on baking sheet.
8. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes. Place on baking rack to cool.


Hope you enjoy the cookies, and happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment